Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Kids Parties: Construction Party

Last weekend was Master T's 5th birthday party. Earlier in the year i showed him about 5 pinterest boards of birthday party themes. I asked a few times and he chose construction each time. This worked perfect as half our backyard is incomplete so there was space for tonka trucks, buckets & spades to play in the sand. This is the first party we have had at our new home, it was fantastic, my favourite party so far.


The invite & entrance decorations. My old house had no portico so i did front door signs. Its nice to add something extra. Once all quests arrived i moved the balloons/cone to the backyard. I made road signs and stuck on either side of sliding doors (got too busy and forgot to take a photo). They are all double sided so can been seen both inside and outside. I will do a mini tutorial on how you can make your own.




I got all the kids a helmet and made labels with their names on. I also labelled their buckets with their goodies inside. 




I used a toolbox to hold the plates & napkins. The food was a big hit with barely any leftovers. The savoury food wasn't themed but a selection of most loved party food. The nuts & bolts mix with little cupcake cases was a last minute idea which worked great.




 I made all the sweets construction theme which was great fun a very well received.




 Brownie Tyres - These are brownies i cut with a circle cookie cutter and then handcut the centre out. I covered in chocolate frosting and dunked them in chocolate sprinkles

Jelly Slice Stop Signs - Turns out octagon cookie cutter doesnt work well with jelly & icing does like to stick to jelly either. Points for trying though ;)

 Watermelon + Rockmelon + HoneyDew = Traffic Lights

I got Julian a box of tool chocolates for his 1st Father's Day. I kept the tray inside thinking it would make a good chocolate mould one day. I made these chocolates then unfortunately in my tired daze i put the tray in the dishwasher and it melted. Ooops

Orange jelly in tall plastic shot glasses. I wrapped white electrical tape to create the barricade look. The 'Dig In' signs are available in my 'Printables' Tab. 


I put some construction cones in the backyard and attached caution tape (you can get big rolls from Bunnings). This section of the garden will one day be a deck with pergola over it which we plan to put outdoor lounges under.


Our toilet is in a unusual place (just off the study/dining area) so i added this sign to make it easy for guests to find. It suited the construction theme and much nicer than a port-a-loo


I've saved the best for last. . . The cake. Oh how i love this cake. I'm so proud of how it turned out and it's now my new favourite. I will be posting a tutorial on how i did this later this week. There is a tutorial for a round cake version HERE but we did square and in a different method - My Construction Cake Tutorial 

The rocks are edible - they were from the Reject Shop at Easter time. I will have a selection of 'road signs' available in my 'Printables' tab.




Master T making his birthday wish

17 comments:

Our Veuve Build said...

It all looks amazing Leanne! Well done! I love that cake! x

Anonymous said...

Wow.... The attention to detail is exceptional Leanne.
What a very lucky boy..
Marcela
xxx

songsofhome said...

That's so impressive! They must have had a blast!

housebythewater said...

Leanne, that is fantastic! One of the best I've seen. You've given me great ideas. I made my son that cake (without the complicated interior) last year for his 4th birthday but he didn't have a party. He's going to have a party for his 5th - and I think we've just found the theme! Just wish we had a sandpit like yours.

Marisa Simeone said...

Wow - this is seriously impressive. Nice work !!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! What did you put in your Nuts Bolts? What are the criss cross thingys?!

Lime & Mortar said...

Hey - the nuts & bolts are pretzels, peanuts, nutrigrain & crispix (which are the criss cross thingys)

Tara said...

Stalking your page for food ideas for A's party. With your pinwheels and other hot food, do you fully cook the day before and heat up just before the party?

Lime & Mortar said...

Hot food I usually make fresh the morning of the party :)

Georgia Tolley said...

So impressed! Great inspiration for my son's 2nd birthday!

Em Schoenfelder said...

Awesome effort!!!! Great inspiration for future parties!!!

Anonymous said...

where did you bought the buckets??

Lime & Mortar said...

They were from Kmart

Anonymous said...

Can I ask what you used for the base of the stop lights? Are they white straws?
Great job!

Lime & Mortar said...

They are lollipop sticks 😊

Drew Watts said...

Super amazing construction themed kids’ party ideas. I am so glad to find these ideas. My son’s birthday is coming so I would like to host construction themed party for him at one of the local party Venues in San Francisco.

rene wilson said...

Hey Hi!
Great pics and idea for kids party.
Inflatable Water Bounce House
Inflatable Water Slides For Sale
Jump And Splash Bounce House
Inflatable Water Slides For Kids
Bounce House Supplies USA
Blow Up Bounce House
Inflatable Dream Castle With Ball Pit
Inflatable Indoor Bounce House

Post a Comment